Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Halo, My Friend, Halo



I've grown fond of seeing myself and others with Halos, although in this particular instance there is a nimbus reflected above Mary. These nimbus's are typical of much religious iconography and depict the aura of deity surrounding a person on this earth.

There is a saying above the hallway at the entrance of the Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa: "The Risen Christ has just entered here". Another wall saying at the St. Benedictine Abbey near Mt. Angel, Or. says: "All guests are to be received as Christ". (part of Chapter 53. The Rule of St. Benedict) Both of these sentiments implore us to find in each other the deity and wonder of God as creator in every individual.

Living in Mt. Angel left an indelible mark. A small & fun, but telling little sign may be that I always seem to place a handwritten halo over a person's name on an outgoing letter. It's such a small thing but something I like to do. O to you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely thing to do Colette!

Journal Swag said...

And Halo to YOU my sweet friend. You deserve one!

xoxoxo

Sheila

Colette George said...

thanks you two. God love and bless you both so sweetly. And then, God bless you both all over again!!
Colette

icandy... said...

You may need to come here and visit our St. Benedict's Abbey......we have personal connections with the Abbott and several monks. I see a tour~ or at least attending the captivating mass in the near future!
I have to get you here somehow!!! :)
Love you, Colette!